Thursday, May 26, 2011

Things to do on a rainy day... baking rockcakes!

Hello! I have had posts swirling about in my head the last couple of days, but Blogger was refusing to cooperate, I was pretty much blocked out of my own blog! So nice to be back in my little space...

I've been mentally workshopping an idea for a new section on my blog. It's called:

Things to do on a Rainy Day!

The idea came from the decidedly treacherous windy, rainy and generally unpleasant weather we encountered this week. On rainy days, I force myself to get inspired. To engage with my children, even when my heart longs for the warm sanctuary of the shopping centre... I like to be creative with them. And my children like to be creative too. Well, Fern does. Elliott just likes to eat paper.

Anyway. I'm going to start journaling the creative stuff we get up to on 'rainy' days... and I invite you to do the same! I'm opening up my blog to YOUR rainy day activities, too! So if you have an idea and would like to 'guest' post on my blog, please contact me! bubbymakesthree@yahoo.com

Today's rainy day activity is...

Baking Rockcakes!
I secretly love rockcakes. The large, sugary, sultanary ones you get from the bakery. That wash down so elegantly with a cup of tea. When I worked corporately, they were my little indulgence. Yesterday, Fern and I baked some together and they were so easy and successful I wonder why I havn't made them earlier! Best part is, they keep several days. Worst part? I wrapped mine on a plate with some gladwrap and left them overnight. Several thousand ants infiltrated the plastic and had themselves a picnic. Bugger bugger bugger! Anyway. They were worth the effort, I managed to scoff at least 4 before the ants et the rest! Here's what we did, and what you could do, too!

Ingredients:
2 cups SR flour
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
90g chopped butter
75g caster sugar
1 cup sultanas
1/2 cup milk
1 lightly beaten egg
1 tablespoon sugar extra

Recipe:
1. Don apron and chefs hat. Big smile optional, but helpful!


2. Sift flour and cinnamon into a large bowl. Rub in butter, stir in sugar and sultanas. (I only had little mini-boxes of mixed apricots and sultanas, so we used those!)



3. Stir in egg, then enough milk to mix to a moist but firm dough.


4. Eat a little bit of mixture when your mum is not looking. Get lots more on the floor.


5. Drop heaped tablespoons of mixture 5cm apart onto greased oven trays. Sprinkle a little extra sugar over the top of each cake; bake in an oven approx 180 degrees for about 15 mins or until browned lightly.


6. While cakes are baking, clean up dreadful mess.


7. Grab cakes from oven. Cool on racks. Serve warm. ENJOY with a huge smile on your face!!! 




Got your own rainy day activity? Please - send your ideas through, I want to feature YOU on my blog!! xo

3 comments:

  1. Hang on . .. high school flash back . . Home Ec cooking class and rock cakes!! I remember one guy in my class put in too much milk and ended up with smooth cakes! :) It's not raining (or cold for that matter) at the moment, but I might need to make some of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummo! Will definitely give these a try soon Nicole, thanks for sharing the recipe. Fern looks like she's having a ball helping you bake, love her smile in all the pics x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha...adorable....LOVE rock cakes...Hmmm..Mini you looks like the next Mini Master Chef ? x

    ReplyDelete

Hello - oh write me a little note - do! do! Your comments really brighten my day and its nice to know Im not alone out there in cyber space ! x