Monday, August 22, 2011

Make a Mini-Chalkboard!

Following on from Friday's post about my caper into "busy bag" making , I thought I'd share what I got up to over the weekend with you.

I'm not sure how or why I came up with the idea of making mini chalkboards; it certainly wasn't an activity highlighted on any busy-bag website I came across. For this reason, I really had no idea how I was going to do it! A google search produced several how-to sites suggesting making the boards from plywood which was a good idea... if I knew how to cut such a thing!

Amanda came up with a great suggestion to paint the inner cardboard of those cheap and cheery Ikea frames you get in little packs of two -- another great solution which would have worked a treat except I live an hour away from Ikea.

So I hit the $2 store. As you do in desperate situations!

And as always, I came up trumps.

I came away with a packet of mounting boards and some art canvas paper which I decided was the quickest and easiest way of making my mini-chalkboards. I already had a tin of chalkboard paint at home.

Want the how-to? It's so easy:

You need:
- Some mounting boards (from craft stores or $2 store)
- Chalkboard paint
- Thick cardboard or a picture frame (optional)
- Coloured paint (optional)
- Chalk
- Makeup remover pads or a chalkboard duster
- Glue
- Scissors

How to:
1. Paint dry-mount with 2-3 coats of chalkboard paint. Leave to dry. (sorry, forgot to photograph!)
2. Cut drymount using sharp knife into smaller "chalkboards" (or leave as-is for one large chalkboard)
3. Get your darling child to "decorate" your chalkboard "frames" (ie the cardboard sheets). We used brightly coloured paint:


4. Once paint is dry, glue your chalkboards onto the cardboard. Using your scissors, cut around the chalkboards so you create a little "frame". I used a zig-zag but you can use whatever decorative scissors you like!

4. Place into zip-lock bag with a few sticks of white/ coloured chalk and "duster" (I used a Swisper -- works a treat!) and


5. T-daaaaa! Instant arty MOBILE fun at your fingertips whenever you need it! Great for the car... on a plane... at a cafe... and so on.



Our busy-bag "swap" is this evening -- tra-la-la-la!

3 comments:

  1. They look magic.
    Look forward to hearing how tonight goes.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome idea!! they look great:) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops, a bit new to blogging other people's pictures and I just popped yours on my blog (with a link). Hope this is ok, please let me know if not and I will take them down (and ensure I ask before next time).

    ReplyDelete

Hello - oh write me a little note - do! do! Your comments really brighten my day and its nice to know Im not alone out there in cyber space ! x