Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Let's Talk About Boys...

It isn't often that my husband surprises me. After 10 years, I like to think I know pretty much every nook and cranny of his personality, so he doesn't often say or do anything that really blows me away. But yesterday, he said something that really knocked my socks off. He's not overly sentimental, is Dan, he's a 'blokes bloke' who fishes and races his bicycle and goes camping and watches action movies.

But Dan told me, just casually over breakfast, that when Elliott was born, he had made a point of breathing in his son's newborn breath. That Elliott, brand new, to him was the epitome of perfection. He'd never eaten or drunk anything and was taking his very first breaths of worldly air. My husband wanted to smell that newness, in those first few precious moments of his life.

And I'm not sure why, but this really moved me! I would never have thought of doing such a thing, and I am a million times more sentimental than my husband. Or am I?

When has your man ever knocked your socks off with a rare display of sentimentality?

6 comments:

  1. My husband is a blokes bloke too. He comes from a very traditional & conservative family - the one where the man is the man, the woman looks after her man, the house and the kids. Lucky enough when he moved to Aus he discovered life isn't like that. But still, he is not emotional and doesn't share his feelings with ease. I remember how amazing it was to me that when our girls were born...he was shedding tears of total joy. It was beautiful and two memories I will treasure forever.

    What a gorgeous photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, that is one of the most beautiful - if not THE most beautiful - thing I have ever heard! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. very special times and the photo is stunning...such love in this photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that is gorgeous Nicole. I still have goosebumps. Men can be so surprising. My Mr can sometimes be a little "softer" and surprised me one night last week by singing me his favourite Foo Fighters song when I was in a feverish and flu induced haze. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is undoubtedly one of the most lovely things I've read! xo

    ReplyDelete

Hello - oh write me a little note - do! do! Your comments really brighten my day and its nice to know Im not alone out there in cyber space ! x