Wednesday, October 21, 2009

'ipanic' - when realisation and destiny collide

Months ago, I was persuaded to enter a 60km mountain bike race in the Southern Highlands, competing against a thousand or so fellow cycling enthusiasts.

I agreed because:

a. I thought it might encourage me to get back on my bike post-pregnancy
b. The race was MONTHS away, leaving me plenty of time to procrastinate about point 'a'
c. A number of friends were doing it, and I don't like to be left out

... but mostly I agreed because

d. My husband sneakily entered me at 5.30am before I got up one morning and then 'surprised' me with it over breakfast.

It's not as though riding a bike is new to me; before Fern I used to ride quite a lot! It's just my body is not quite the same as it was here just before I fell pregnant:



I'll admit that when I'm tired or stressed I eat... and this year, I've been both. A lot! Plus, my body just doesn't look the same as it did before, and I wonder if it ever will again.

I've had this race in the back of my mind over the last few months, but it seemed so far away I figured there would be plenty of time to get fit and psyche myself up before the day. But now all of a sudden it's three weeks away. Is three weeks enough time to get myself into enough shape to finish the race... the same day as I start it?

Today I did 20 sit ups and half an hour on the trainer and started my diet which included a row of dark chocolate, a spoonful of Nutella, and 4 Fererro Rochers.

Heaven help me. :)

ps. Thanks to James for the tommy-toning-tips, I'm gonna give it my best!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello - oh write me a little note - do! do! Your comments really brighten my day and its nice to know Im not alone out there in cyber space ! x