Friday, November 13, 2009

Reindeer Cupcakes

With his usual propensity to give me, oh five minutes notice, my husband informed me on Tuesday that we are hosting his work Christmas party at our house on Saturday (tonight). Which gave me three days to work out, shop for and prepare a menu to feed a table of hungry men. 

Yes, I realise its still 6 weeks til Christmas, but things tend to get very busy in December and last year we didn't quite get around to hosting a function for my hubby's hard working staff, so this year we're getting in early!

Because my talents do not extend as far as the kitchen (I cant even defrost frozen peas without scorching them) I consulted my dear friends Nigella and Donna for assistance. As usual, they did not disappoint. 

We'll be having a simple bbq, with some yummy salads (thanks Nigella)... but the real piece de resistance is the reindeer cupcakes I have prepared for desert. The cake itself was supposed to have raspberries inside it, but in my excitement of decorating, I forgot. I got the idea from an old Donna Hay (Australia's answer to Martha Stewart) magazine, which I ironically collect, despite the fact that I can't cook. I think just owning the mags give me a certain domestic-smugness, despite my lack of cooking prowess. I look forward to the Christmas edition each year for its chic styling tips and yummy goodies I may or may not attempt in my own kitchen.

Anyway. Check these out:



I am offering these to guests along with some vanilla icecream, waffle cones, and an assortment of sprinkles, nuts and toppings to make-your-own-icecream. Happy times!

ps. For years, I've wanted to make my own Christmas cake. And for years, I havn't quite got around to it. This year, I'm gonna do it! Please hold me to this. 

2 comments:

  1. They look great!

    I too have been collecting the Donna Hay mags since they first came out, despite not cooking much at all. I love all the styling too and love the kids issue that comes out each year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so cute! What a great idea. Hope all goes well for the party.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - oh write me a little note - do! do! Your comments really brighten my day and its nice to know Im not alone out there in cyber space ! x