Monday, September 6, 2010

Make a Fabric Dollhouse

Happy Monday! Hope you had a lovely weekend...

Today I must share with you an idea I stumbled upon over the weekend for creating a portable fabric/ felt dolls house -- perfect for the car or in restaurants or at weddings or any other time your wayward child must sit still for any length of time! Best of all, these 'doll' houses are not just for girls; you could adapt the design to make a 'barn' house for those of you (including me!) with a boy-o.

I found the tutorial here from the blog UK Lass in the US and I am so keen to make one for Fern! Check the basic example out below:
 
Isn't it adorable? And the best part is, the design is only limited by your own imagination! There's even a Flikr group showcasing the creations and variations on the dolls house submitted by other readers. There are so many amazing designs featured, I hardly know where to start! These are just a few of my faves:







What do you think? I really really want to make one. I'm thinking a horse stable for Fern, because she is slightly horse mad. With plastic horses, or maybe mini My-Little-Ponies. Yes, I'm full of excitement about this project except.... I am feeling the tiniest bit time-poor at the mo. Elliott and Fern are taking up pretty much 100% of my time and I am not finding many spare moments to whip out the sewing machine! I went onto Etsy to (shame shame) buy one but they didn't really have much in the way of pickings, and nothing really took my fancy. So I'm going to have to find the time on this one! But it will involve getting 2 kids into the car and over to Spotlight. In truth, I haven't ventured out of the house by myself with the two of them yet. I am the teensiest bit intimidated by the thought, and have no idea how to do it. Shopping stage fright, if you will. Helllp! 

9 comments:

  1. They are gorgeous. My girls would love them. As for getting the two in and out of the car...it gets easier and easier each time. I always put the toddler IN first and baby OUT first (as then the toddler cannot run around the carpark when you try to get bubs in the car). Hope its all going beautifully for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh i really love this idea...the idea of a little barn for my little one would be perfect! i think i just may have to look into this idea also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I would say the horse one ;-) LOVE that Fern loves horses, I'll have something in common with my niece. When she is (way) older I'll take her to Glenworth Valley, the very best place to go horse riding and my very favourite place on earth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are gorgeous! Almost makes me want to learn to sew.....um NOT (NO creative gene's here)! I wonder who I could find to make one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute idea! Have been thinking of you and your two cherubs. Hope your first outing with them goes smoothly :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read you post yesterday, then last night I saw an ad for Ikea and saw the same thing... very surreal... check this out - http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/10174655

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahah! Thanks Melissa that is quite a coincidence! And, while the post examples are nicer being hand made... its hard to argue with $39 from Ikea!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How ridiculously cute! If only I had a daughter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nicole, just having a lovely time scrolling through your blog archives and found this gem - I think I might attempt a little Ginger Bread house for Christmas - I'm thinking brown felt with white felt trim for snow and fabric lolly pops. Did you end up making one for Fern?

    ReplyDelete

Hello - oh write me a little note - do! do! Your comments really brighten my day and its nice to know Im not alone out there in cyber space ! x