I've been playing with an idea in my head for a few weeks and over the weekend, I made this:
... and I'm a little chuffed at how it's come up! I don't know if you can see from my image, but those are actual toy cars stuck onto chalkcloth, upon which I've drawn a 'road.' Mine is on the wall, but it would be equally cute leaning on a bookshelf or somesuch.
Want to know how I did it? It's pretty easy folks!
- An embroidery hoop
- Some fabric (I chose a natural linen)
- Some chalkcloth or other fabric for the lettering
- Glue (preferably a hot glue gun)
- Toy cars (Matchbox or whatever you can grab from the $2 shop!)
1. First, stretch the linen over the hoop and secure into place.
2. Draw your child's initial onto your chosen fabric (I've used chalkcloth, and drawn on the back of mine). Print it out first onto paper and cut around if this is easier.
3. Cut initial out.
4. Glue (or sew) onto embroidery hoop.
5. Draw your "road" on the initial using a ruler and chalk.
6. Finally, attach your cars onto the "road" using a hot glue gun. Cut excess fabric away from the back of the hoop.
7. Hang with pride!!
I'd love to know what you think of this idea and if you do decide to give it a go yourself do DO send me pics! x